Friday, December 23, 2016

Attempting to barter web design services for guitar repair services

I had a guitar that needed a minor repair, and I wanted to take it to a local Guitar Shop, House of Guitars. They do awesome work and I trust them a lot. They have one of the best ratings in the Salt Lake for repairs. They also have one of the worst websites I've ever seen.

                                                           http://www.guitarzip.com/

The background isn't aligned, there's a "Click here to add text" line on the top right, and it looks something straight out of the 90's.

So I took an hour, and I created a simple mock-up to present to the store owner to see if we could barter my website design for the guitar repair.

                                       http://www.eighthdayslc.com/houseOfGuitarsDemo/

I tried to make it responsive, I added a Google maps widget, which displayed their awesome 4.9 review rating.

I was so nervous asking the store owner, because this was so out of the ordinary, to try to barter web design services for guitar repair. He was very cordial, and respectful. I presented the website on my laptop, and explained why a better website would help his business.

I thought that I good job on the design on my mock-up, and my presentation wasn't bad, but in the end the store owner didn't see the value in modernizing his website, because his business was so successful. He said that he'd invest in his website if business was down, but they were getting an increasing amount of business, and they were having a hard time to meet all the orders.

In the end, it was a good experience.


No comments:

Post a Comment